The Jealous King
Questions for group discussion or personal reflection:
1. When have you recently admired a possession someone else had? What was it? What did you like about it?
2. In Ex. 20:4-5, God declares himself to be a jealous God, do you think this is a good thing? Why or why not?
3. What are some situations where it would be a holy thing for us to be jealous?
4. Compare and Contrast how Saul and Jonathan handle David’s success differently?
5. Saul was jealous of David in many areas of life: praise, position, possessions, and people. In what areas do you find yourself most frequently drifting to jealousy?
6. What are the relationships between jealousy, envy, and coveting?
7. How can viewing life as a competition damage our relationships?
8. When does the desire for something cross the line into coveting?
9. What is the difference between admiring what another has or has accomplished and envying them?
10. Give yourself a grade in the areas of jealousy, envy, and coveting? explain
11. Clay listed four ways to remedy our sins of desire, which of these do you find helpful and why?