The Gift of Work
Gen. 1:26-28 , 3:17-19 Ecclesiastes 3:9-13
Work is a gift from God for His glory and our good.
Work is a sustained exercise of strength and skill that overcomes obstacles to produce or accomplish something – David Miller
Work is part of God’s original and eternal design for humanity.
Work provides purpose.
Work provides an avenue to serve.
Work provides dignity.
Work is temporarily difficult and painful because of human sin.
Expect even good work to be hard.
Expect Satan to discourage your work.
Ask God to give you strength in your work.
God uses the work of people to combat sin and bring goodness to the world.
Questions for Reflection/Discussion:
As always feel free to tweak, skip, or add questions to focus on areas you think most relevant to your group.
- If you could go back to age 18 again would you still pursue the same job path? If not what would you pursue instead?
- How many different jobs have you had in your life?
- Are you encouraged or discouraged to know that work is a part of eternity? Why?
- What is the difference between a career and a vocation? How would you identify each in your life?
- Read Ecclesiastes 2, what is the point of work if you separate it from your faith?
- How does being a Christian change the way you find meaning in your work?
- Did you like David Miller’s definition of work? If so why? If not what would you change?
- Does your work seem more like a gift or a curse right now? Why?
- What is the good that you can see in your work right now?
- What are good reasons and bad reasons to change your work?
- How do you think God wants us to use our retirement years? Why?