The Calling of Singleness
From 1 Corinthians 7:17-40:
Seeking to follow God where you are is more important than seeking to change your circumstances.
Questions for group discussion or personal reflection:
1. What were you taught about marriage as you grew up? Was singleness presented as a God honoring option to you?
2. What are some ways that you can uniquely serve God because of the current circumstances of your life?
3. What’s the difference between a calling and a desire? What role do each play in the life of a Christian?
4. Often times the Bible makes choices for us, does the freedom extended on the issue of marriage give you more comfort or more confusion?
5. How can you tell if earthly circumstances (relationships, stuff, hobbies) are driving your life more than Jesus?
6. What are some of the blessings and hardships of your current phase of life?
7. Do you agree with Paul that being married can make it more difficult to be fully devoted to God?
8. What are some ways that a church can make sure that those who are single feel valued and included?
9. Are there any other major questions you would encourage someone contemplating marriage to think about before they take that step?
10. How much interaction do you have with those in different life circumstances? What holds you back from engaging more?