From James 2:1-13
How do I treat the poor / those who don’t meat society’s standards of success?
Questions for group discussion or personal reflection:
1. Who was the favorite kid in your family? On what basis do you make your argument? Would everyone agree?
2. When in life have you been treated as less than? On what basis?
3. When in life have you been treated as greater than? On what basis?
4. What are some of the improper assumptions the people make about those who are poor?
5. How can poverty actually lend itself to creating a deep faith?
6. What are some of the improper assumptions the people make about those who are rich?
7. How can wealth make it more difficult to follow God?
8. How much interaction do you have with those who are poor in the eyes of the world? What does it look like to love them in your situation?
9. Does not showing favoritism mean that I have to be friends with everyone equally? Why or why not?
10. What are some ways the church can make sure we are treating all people with dignity and value?
11. Mercy asks, ”How can I bless them?” , while judgement asks,”What do they deserve?” When do you find a mercy mindset most difficult?