Entitled to Serve
Ask “How can I serve” instead of “what do I deserve”.
Questions for group discussion or personal reflection:
1. What’s the worst job interview you’ve been a part of? What made it so bad?
2. What are some of the ways we use the word “entitled” currently? Does it have a positive or negative meaning for you?
3. What are some of the things that people of your own generation tend to feel entitled to?
4. What do we mean when we say that we deserve something?
5. What are some things our society tells us we deserve?
6. What are some things scripture says that we deserve?
7. Why do you think Paul spends so much time establishing that he deserves to get paid before saying he doesn’t want anything?
8. How does Paul’s rant in this passage help move the Corinthians toward an answer to their questions?
9. Reread v.17-18, what’s the difference between serving out of duty and serving out of generosity?
10. Which of the four theological truths do you find most helpful in moving from a deserve mindset to a serve mindset?
11. How did Jesus model the serve mindset in his life?