God would love to be your emergency contact, but only if He gets to be your Lord as well.
From 1 Samuel 27-28
Questions for group discussion or personal reflection:
1. If you had access to the full slate of superheroes who would you put down as your emergency contact?
2. In 28:6, Saul inquires of the Lord, but doesn’t get any response, how do you make sense of that?
3. Do you think God would have responded differently today given that Jesus has come? Why or why not?
4. Clay made the claim that a Christianity that doesn’t include Jesus as Savior AND Lord isn’t a real Christianity. To what degree do you agree with that statement?
5. What has been your experience with the magical arts? Did you discover them to be more fake or more dangerous?
6. Given the danger of real magic, how concerned should we be with fantasy stories that borrow some of these elements?
7. Why would the typical American find Moralistic Therapeutic Deism (MTD) an attractive worldview?
8. Do you find MTD to be present in your spheres of life?
9. Which aspects of MTD are inconsistent biblical Christianity?
10. What kind of bridges could you use to connect a person who believes or lives out MTD to the true Jesus?