An Illegal Healing
In John 5, Jesus heals a paralytic man… on the Sabbath.
This broke some cultural rules regarding the Sabbath, but it also revealed some important things about Jesus:
Jesus is the Father’s Apprentice:
- He does what the Father Does (verse 19)
- The Father shows Him all He does (verse 20)
- He gives LIFE (Verse 21 & 26)
He is the Father’s Official Representative
- The Father has authorized Jesus to be the judge (verse 22 & 27)
- Jesus is due honor just as the father is due honor (verse 23)
- A Judge declares what is good and what is evil (verse 29)
Questions for your reflection and discussion:
- What is your favorite cultural party?
- What is something you learned how to do from your dad?
- How has Jesus given you life recently?
- Where do you need life from Jesus now?
- Do you spend more time focusing on physical wellness or spiritual wellness? How would you like to change that going forward?
- What is your reaction to thinking of Jesus as judge?
- How might it be a positive thing that we have a judge?
- What would you say in response to someone who said Christianity, Islam, and Judaism all believe the same thing?
- How do you remember and celebrate what God has done in your home?