Disciples of Jesus are called to deny themselves, take up their cross, and follow Him.
Questions for group discussion or personal reflection:
1. What is the most romantic thing you’ve done for someone else?
2. What are some examples of choices that Christians can make to deny themselves in emulation of Jesus?
3. How is taking up a cross different from encountering a hardship? Why is a distinction important?
4. What’s an example of a cross you or your family has chosen to take on for the sake of the gospel?
5. What are the influences in your life that compete with Jesus in their ability to give direction?
6. How would you explain the gain by losing to paradox to someone who is considering becoming a follower of Jesus?
7. In what situations are you most tempted to distance yourself from being associated with Jesus?
8. Is there a difference between a direct denial of knowing Jesus and selectively remaining silent about him when he comes up in conversation?
9. How can someone tell if they have slipped into a Jesus is my servant mindset instead of viewing ourselves as his servant?