Jesus before Pilate
This week, Rick Gimpel guided us through John 18:28-19:16a, as Jesus stood before Pilate.
Here are some questions for group discussion or personal reflection:
1) Do you agree with Pascal, that we all wager our lives on whether God exists or not? Explain why or why not.
2) What was the Jewish leaders’ initial accusation against Jesus (John 18:30)? Why do think they responded in such a vague way?
3) In what way(s) is it ironic that the Jews wouldn’t enter Pilate’s headquarters?
4) Why was it important for the Jews that Jesus be crucified and not stoned? Is it important for us as Christians how he died?
5) Pilate stated several times, “I find no fault in this man.” Yet he didn’t release him when he had the authority to do so. Why do you think he didn’t have him released?
6) Jesus told Pilate, “My kingdom is not of this world.” What kind of kingdom does Jesus have?
7) Why did Pilate offer Barabbas as an alternative to Jesus?
8) How does Barabbas’ life and subsequent release mirror ours as Christians in this story?