Fair Weather Disciples
In John 6, many followers walk away from Jesus after a particularly difficult message.
Here are some questions for your discussion time or personal reflection:
- Share a time when you committed to something but gave up when it became hard.
- What is something that has offended you recently?
- What aspects of the Christian faith are most offensive to the people you interact with day to day?
- What is a way you have been offended by Jesus in the past? How have you worked through it?
- What are your thoughts on Clay’s method of dealing with Jesus’ offensiveness? Anything you would change or add?
- Remind ourselves who Jesus is
- Remind ourselves of our commitment to be His disciple
- Make sure you understand what He is saying
- Search ourselves to see why we are offended
- Pray that God may change your heart to desire truth
- See offense as an opportunity to grow
- How might we be tempted to change the words of Jesus so that people are less offended by them?
- Any advice on how to share a hard truth with someone with gentleness and love?