From Hebrews 8
Jesus brings us, by faith, into a new covenant that will endure.
Questions for group discussion or personal reflection:
1. Have you ever had a cast? How did you injure yourself?
2. How is the OT law like a cast?
3. When was the last time you read through the OT law books, Leviticus and Deuteronomy?
4. What role has the OT law played in your faith up to this point?
5. Did you know that the Jerusalem temple was a copy of the temple in heaven? What significance does that have for you?
6. Chapter 8 describes the temple as shadow, but this term can be applied more broadly to the OT. Read Colossians 2:16-17 & Hebrews 10:1, how does the law act as a shadow of Jesus? What can we learn about him from the law?
7. Read Hebrews 8:7-8, what does the writer mean when God says something was wrong with the old covenant? What was it?
8. How does this passage describe the new covenant that Jesus brought with him? What makes it better than the old covenant?
9. How might a new covenant Christian be drawn back into an old covenant mindset?
10. If the old covenant is obsolete, outdated, and will soon disappear, how should we utilize it today?
11. What struck you most powerfully as you read and heard this passage preached?