Seek to help others focus on God.
Questions for group discussion or personal reflection:
1. Share about a time when you have been embarrassed by being associated with a family member?
2. Be sure to read through the passage together, which parts do you find confusing? Would you feel comfortable explaining this passage to a friend?
3. How do you normally handle it when you read a passage that is hard to understand or culturally confusing?
4. Do you find it easier or hard to focus while you are in church? What can be distracting to you?
5. What are some of the ways we might be tempted to try and impress one another in church?
6. Modesty is likely behind Paul’s instruction for women to cover their hair. What teaching have you had on modesty in the past? What has been helpful and what has been unhelpful?
7. How would it change the way you worship if you did it with an awareness that angels were there with you?
8. What are some cultural expectations that we have for attire and behavior at church today?
9. For his time, Paul empowered women in ways that pressed against the culture of his day. Without diving into a discussion on gender roles, how can we make sure women are valued and empowered in the church?