Are You Baptism Official?
Baptism is a public proclamation that you are in a committed relationship with Jesus.
Questions for group discussion or personal reflection:
1. Why do you think it’s becoming so difficult for people to make even small commitments (e.g. weekend plans)? How can hesitant commitment impact the way we follow Jesus?
2. What effect would it have on your life if everyone you came in contact with knew you were a Christian?
3. There has been a trend away from ritual within the church during the last 30 years. What has been healthy about this trend? How might it be taken to an unhealthy extreme?
4. Go through the acts of conversion listed in the notes. What is the unique role that each of these plays in the life of a Christian?
5. Why would Jesus include an outward symbolic act as a part of a process that is mostly an internal one of the heart?
6. What are some of the reasons that genuine Christians can be hesitant about pursuing baptism? What counsel would you give them to help them overcome those barriers?
7. How does Romans 6, help explain the symbolism present in baptism?
8. How does going through baptism strengthen one’s faith?
9. Clay made the case that baptism isn’t an optional part of the Christian life, do you agree or disagree?
10. What’s been your own experience with baptism? How did you decide to go through it? If you haven’t done it what is holding you back?